Garage Electrical Wiring Upgrades
How to Upgrade Garage Electrical Wiring for Outlets and Switches: Electrical Question: When we replaced a 2 pole switch in the garage from very old wiring, the white wires are now hot. Also the outlet boxes and lights register that they have power in them but they do not work.
Upgrading Old Wiring for a Garage
Electrical Question: When we replaced a 2 pole switch in the garage from very old wiring, the white wires are now hot. Also the outlet boxes and lights register that they have power in them but they do not work.
This electrical question came from: Peter, a Homeowner from MN.
Thanks for your electrical question Peter.
Garage Electrical Wiring for Outlets Switches
Application: Replacing Light Switches.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional fixture wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Materials: Make sure the replacement light switch has the same amperage and voltage rating as the original switch, and is fully compatible with the electrical circuit, the light fixture and the type of light bulbs being used.
How to Upgrade Garage Electrical Wiring for Outlets and Switches
- Double check the electrical wiring and make sure that the new switch is correct and matches the circuit rating.
- A 2 pole switch is not commonly used in home applications.
- You may be referring to a 3 way switch or a 4 way switch which has a similar appearance.
- I would recommend having the old electrical wiring replaced at your earliest convenience.
How to Garage Electrical Wiring
Garage Electrical Wiring
- Garage electrical wiring diagram and considerations for wiring garage circuits, complete with pictures.
- Careful planning for your garage with immediate and future equipment considerations will help you understand how to size your electrical circuit requirements.
- This information will help as an garage electrical wiring guide.
Rewiring a Home
Upgrading Old Wiring
Great ideas for home electrical rewiring that will add value to your home and bring it up to the current safety and energy efficient electrical codes.
Electrical outlet wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home.
- See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Electrical Wire and Cable
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Garage Electrical Wiring 2 pole switch, 3-way switch, 4 way switch, electrical question, electrical wiring, garage lighting, garage wiring, old wiring, outlet box
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.