Turn On Outdoor Lights with a Garage Door Opener
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Operate an Outdoor Light with the Garage Door: How can I turn on an outdoor light with my automatic garage door opener?
Garage Door and Outdoor Light Connection
- I have a single-car detached garage with an overhead electric garage door.
- The garage has a dawn to driveway light dusk light fixture mounted above the overhead door that I hard wired to a second fixture on the side.
- When I am inside the home at my back door, I cannot see the front of the garage or its garage door thus I do not know if the door is up or down.
- I wish to remove the dawn-to-dusk and replace it with a standard spotlight fixture. What I would like to know is do you have a thought or two about how I might hard wire a 110v switch that turns on this new fixture as the door moves up (ON) or down (OFF)?
- I can only think of placing a receptacle box near the edge of the moving door that strikes a light switch. Somehow, I think that may be a bit too easy?
Your thoughts are appreciated.
Mike in Cleveland.
This electrical repair question came from: Mike, a Handyman from Cleveland Heights, Ohio.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Mike
How to Operate an Outdoor Light with the Garage Door
Application: Installing Electrical Wiring for Outdoor Lighting to be Controlled by a Automatic Garage Door Opener.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a licensed electrician.
Tools Required: Electricians Pouch of Hand Tools for electrical Wiring as needed for the garage door opener.
Estimated Time: Depends on the extent of the project and available access to the project area.
Precaution: Identify the electrical circuit to be configured, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring or upgrading existing electrical circuits and wiring should always be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Outdoor Lighting Controlled by an Automatic Garage Door
There are several ways to control lights using the operation of an automatic garage door system which I will explain below:
Control Devices that can be wired into the Light Circuit
- Automatic Garage Door Light Circuit: Wire a control relay into the garage door unit light circuit.
- Optical Sensor: Sensors can sense of the garage door open or closed.
- Mechanical Limit Switch: A limit switch can sense the position of the garage door.
- Latching Relay: A time delay relay can be activated by the garage door motor circuit.
- Home Automation Module: Use X-10 or home automation modules to control the garage door and also the outside light.
- As with any electrical project, any of these options would have to be wired according to the National Electrical Code and should be inspected by your local building authority.
More about Garage Door Electrical Wiring
Wiring Electrical Relays
The use of relays that are sometimes needed to control special device loads such as Air Conditioners and other high demand equipment from starting at the same time.
Learn Home Automation
Home automation is about delivering practical control of your lighting, home and personal lifestyle which provides comfort and control and energy savings.
Wiring a Switch – Diagram 1
Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
- Garage Electrical Wiring
- Garage electrical wiring diagram and considerations for wiring garage circuits, complete with pictures.
- Careful planning for your garage with immediate and future equipment considerations will help you understand how to size your electrical circuit requirements. This information will help as an garage electrical wiring guide.