Flickering Lights May Require a New Light Switch
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
I have a light fixture that can be turned on/off by 2 different switches. Sometimes when I flip either switch, the light does not come on, or it flickers and then turns on…
A Sure Sign of a Worn Out Light Switch
- I have a light fixture that can be turned On and Off by 2 different switches.
- Sometimes when I flip either switch the light doesn’t come on, or the light flickers and then turns on.
- One of the light switch switches seems a little loose, but the other one seems normal.
- What do you think the problem might be with these blinking lights?
This question is from Amber, a Homeowner from Norfolk, Nebraska.
Thanks for your electrical question Amber.
How to Fix a Flickering Light Problem
Application: Replacing a Light Switch.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional fixture wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Materials: Make sure the replacement light switch has the same amperage and voltage rating as the original switch, and is fully compatible with the electrical circuit, the light fixture and the type of light bulbs being used.
Replacing a Worn Out Light Switch
All of the indications in this electrical question sounds like one of your switches is getting worn out and needs replacing.
- Indications of a Bad Light Switch that Needs to be Replaced
- Flickering or blinking lights.
- A loose light switch.
- A warm light switch.
- A light switch that crackles or makes noise.
Light Switch Wiring
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
More about Wiring a Light Switch