Fix Three-Way Light Switch Wiring
My Three Way Switches are not working right, How should the Wiring Connections be made? How to Connect Wires for 3-Way Light Switches.
3-Way Light Switch Wiring Correction
Electrical Question: My Three Way Switches are not working right, How should the Wiring Connections be made?
Two switches control the same light fixture. One is a triplex switch, outside the bathroom. The other is a single switch, inside the bathroom.
- Do you think the wiring is wrong, or do I need to buy a new switch? How would it be fixed, if it is wrong?
- When Triplex is in the OFF position, The single switch does not operate.
- When Triplex is in ON position, The single switch operates normally.
- When Single switch is in ON position, The triplex does not operate.
- When Single switch is in OFF position, The triplex operates normally.
Background: Stephen, a Homeowner from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Stephen.
How to Connect Wires for 3-Way Light Switches
Yes Stephen, the wiring for this three way switch is definitely wrong.
- Both of the switches should be 3-way switches with the appropriate wiring installed between them, such as a 3-wire cable.
- The power source and the switch leg to the light fixture need to be identified for the exact wiring method.
- See the 3-way switch diagrams by using the links below.
- By the way, your definition of Triplex is the same as a 3-way switch.
The Following will assist you with your 3-Way Light Switch Wiring
How to Wire 3-way Switches
Easy to Understand 3 Way Switch Diagrams
3 Way Switch Diagrams Fully Explained. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
|« Why A Bathroom Light Fixture May Make Noise||Motor Home Circuit Electrical Troubleshooting »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area