Electrical Wiring for Two GFCI Outlets
How to Wire Two GFI Outlets: GFCI Outlets and Circuit Breakers, Bathroom GFCI Outlet, GFCI Outlet Circuit for a Bathroom, GFCI Wiring Diagrams.
Guide to GFCI Circuit Wiring for Outlets
- I have just installed two GFCI outlets I followed the line in black and white, and then the line out black and white connections to the first outlet.
- I tested the Line In and I have power at the wires, the outlet tests and shows connected with a light.
- There is no line out power and when I go to the master bath and test the lines and I do not have power.
- All these outlets are on a GFCI breaker in the panel.
- I cannot figure out why the outlet with live power in and showing connected will not work at the plugs.
Any thoughts, and or do you need more info.?
This electrical question came from: Jesse, from Bellevue, Washington.
Thanks for your electric wiring question Jesse.
How to Wire Two GFCI Outlets
Application: GFCI Wiring for an Outlet Circuit.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of GFI outlets that will be added.
Precaution: Identify the bathroom GFI outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional GFCI Outlet Wiring should be done according to local and national electrical GFCI Codes with a permit and be inspected.
Typical Wiring Methods for Two GFCI Outlets
- GFCI Outlets and Circuit Breakers
- A GFCI circuit may be protected by either a GFCI Circuit Breaker or a GFCI Outlet, but not both.
- Having two sources of GFI protection can create nuisance trips of the devices, therefore I would select one or the other.
- Bathroom GFCI Outlet
- When installing GFCI protection for bathroom outlets it is best to install a GFCI Outlet instead of a GFCI circuit breaker because it is not very convenient to leave the bathroom and go to the panel to reset the GFI breaker.
- GFCI Outlet Circuit for a Bathroom
- Where there are more than one bathrooms on the same required 20 amp circuit, then it is best to have a GFCI outlet in each bathroom, so that if one trips off it will only affect that bathroom and not the others.
- GFCI Wiring Diagrams
- The links below will show you how to wire GFCI outlets in all of these scenarios.
More about Wiring GFCI Outlets
GFCI and GFI Wiring Diagrams
- The features and benefits of GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
- GFCI Wiring
- This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring.
- When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.