Electrical Wiring for a Garage Panel
Wiring a Sub Panel for a Garage: Wire Size for a 100 amp Garage Panel, Factors that need to be considered when selecting and sizing the wire size for a sub panel.
Installing a 100 Amp Panel for a Garage
Electrical Question: I need to install wire from the main service panel to a sub panel in the garage.
I have built a garage and need to run underground wire from the main 100amp service to a 100 amp sub panel in the garage.
- It’s about 40′ run.
- What size wire would I need?
This electrical wiring question came from: Philip, a Handyman from Valdez, Alaska.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Philip.
Wiring a Sub Panel for a Garage
Skill Level: Advanced – Bets performed by a licensed electrician.
Tools Required: Trenching equipment for installing the underground PVC conduit for the cable to the garage sub-panel location, electricians pouch of hand tools and power tools for boring holes necessary for installing the conduit up to the panel.
Estimated Time: Depends on the level of experience, the method of trenching that will be used, and the available access to the project area.
Notice: Installing a panel to the Home Electrical System should be done with a permit and have all of the required inspections.
Wire Size for a 100 amp Garage Panel
The following is an example of the factors that need to be considered when selecting and sizing the wire size for a sub panel:
- #2 THWN copper wire would be fine for supplying power to a 100 amp sub panel when installing a PVC conduit.
- The #2 AWG copper wire size will be sufficient if the cable will be installed into a PVC conduit and buried at the required depth.
- Keep in mind that the Type of wire will depend specifically on how the sub-panel feed will be installed, whether the cable will be in a conduit or direct buried.
- The wire size will also greatly depend on if the wire will be aluminum or copper.
More about Garage Electrical Wiring
- House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Home Electrical Codes
- Electrical Codes for electrical panels and underground wiring.
- Electrical Wiring
- Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|« How I Install Circuit Breakers in Electrical Service Panels||Bathroom Fan Not Working »|