Electrical Wiring for a Dishwasher and Disposal Outlet
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Wire a Dishwasher and Garbage Disposal Outlet: Common Problems When Wiring a Dishwasher and Disposal Outlet. The disposal is plugged into the receptacle and has power but the dishwasher which is plugged into the same receptacle does not have power.
Wiring a Disposal Switch and Outlet
- I am replacing the switches and receptacles in the kitchen.
- While replacing these devices, I’ve managed to lose power to the dishwasher.
- The disposal, which is plugged into the top or bottom of a receptacle, gets electricity, but the dishwasher which is plugged into the same receptacle, does not.
- I did not change the receptacle under the counter so I’ve wired something wring somewhere above the counter.
- I have the following electrical above the counter:
- Light switch.
- Garbage disposal switch right of sink.
- GFI line right of sink and GFI Load and Line left of sink.
- The dishwasher is right of sink as well.
This home electric wiring question came from: Lisa, from Seattle, Washington.
Thanks for your electrical question Lisa.
How to Wire a Dishwasher and Garbage Disposal Outlet
Application: Wiring a Garbage Disposal Switch and Outlet.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools, the location of the garbage disposal outlet and the available access for the electrical wiring.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional outlet wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Common Problems When Wiring a Dishwasher and Disposal Outlet
- Wiring a Disposal Switch and Outlet
- My first thought about this question is that you should swap the dishwasher and the disposal plugs, because there is a good possibility that the wiring for each of those plugs has been changed up at the disposal switch at the counter top location.
- In most cases, the garbage disposal and dishwasher are on the same electrical circuit, each of which are plugged into the duplex receptacle outlet which is located under the sink.
- As you will see on the visual wiring diagrams, there is a duplex receptacle with two outlets under the sink. One of the outlets is controlled by the switch at the counter top to operate the garbage disposal.
- Wiring a Dishwasher Outlet
- As described in the same wiring diagram, the other outlet of the duplex receptacle under the sink remains hot all the time for the dishwasher.
- To help you understand how the wiring of the garbage disposal and the dishwasher I have placed links to the visual wiring diagrams below.
Garbage Disposal and Dishwasher Wiring
- Fully explained dishwasher disposal and wiring diagrams with pictures for wiring the outlet that serves a dishwasher and a garbage disposal.
- One very important element can be easily overlooked as you will see in these pictures.
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
GFCI and GFI Wiring Diagrams
- The features and benefits of GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
- This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
MORE ABOUT THIS TOPIC: Electrical Wiring