How To Install a Floor Outlet
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How can I install an outlet into the floor? The Basics for Installing a Floor Outlet, Parts for Installing a Floor Outlet.
Electric Floor Outlet
- I want to avoid running a cord on the floor surface to the center of the room.
- I have easy access from the crawlspace below.
- Are there any special requirements, hardware or techniques for installing a receptacle into a box underneath a floor.
This electrical question came from: John, a Handyman from Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Additional Comments: Very helpful. I understand electricity but not hardware and codes.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question John.
Installing a Floor Outlet
Application: Installing a 120 Volt Floor Outlet.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of outlets that will be added and the access to the location for the new outlets.
Precaution: Identify the existing outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional outlet wiring should be done through the local building authority, installed according to applicable local and national electrical codes, with a permit, and have the required inspections.
The Basics for Installing a Floor Outlet
- Installing a floor outlet requires a special floor rated outlet box, which is typically a deep metal box.
- A recessed single or duplex outlet is then installed and a low profile outlet cover which is rated for floor use is then installed.
- Many of the large hardware stores carry floor outlet kits that come with the box, outlet and the cover.
- But first of course, the location for the floor outlet will require special planning so that the outlet will be be located in an ideal location, possibly under a table or sofa.
- This location must not interfere with floor joists or other structural supports or obstacles that may be under the floor.
- The electrical source may be extended from a wall outlet in the immediate room or area
Parts for Installing a Floor Outlet
The following parts are specifically made for this application and may be considered for this project:
- Arlington Adjustable Floor Boxes with Metallic Covers.
- Garvin Brass Floor Box Kit, Weatherproof and Tamper Resistant, With 20 Amp Receptacle.
- Leviton Floor Box Receptacle assembly, floor mounting with duplex receptacle.
More Wiring a Floor Outlet
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Wiring Electrical Outlets
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Wiring Electrical Outlets with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
- Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
- Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance.
- One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
For more information about Home Wiring
Home Electrical Wiring
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams with Pictures
Home Electrical Codes
Electrical Code Directory covering electrical wiring methods for electric outlet.