Could there be a Problem with our Main Circuit Breaker?
Our power has not been right after a recent storm, is there a problem with our panel? How a Storm Can Cause Dim Lights and Lost Power.
Electrical Problems Caused by Storms
Electrical Question: Our power has not been right after a recent storm, is there a problem with our panel?
- After a storm our lights go dim when appliances are used, and the main breaker switch has play in it, is there a problem with the main breaker?
- Recently after an electrical storm during which we lost power we have developed a problem of lights dimming when certain appliances are used.
- The AC, washer, gas dryer, and microwave ovens are all on different circuits.
- Could there be a problem with our main breaker?
This Electrical Question is from Mark, a Handyman in Browns Mills, New Jersey.
Thanks for your electrical question Mark.
How a Storm Can Cause Dim Lights and Lost Power
Reset Electrical Power to the Home
- Weather related storms and especially electrical storms can cause a number of problems with the home electrical system and components.
- The condition that you have described is usually an indication that you have lost power to part of your electrical service.
- Reset the Main Breaker
- If the power is not working normally inside the home after a storm then the main circuit breaker may need to be reset.
- To reset the main circuit breaker switch it into the full OFF position, and then switch it back into the full ON position.
- If the electrical power is still not functioning normally then electrical inspections and tests should be performed by a licensed or certified electrician. I would have this checked as soon as possible.
More about Storm Power Problems
- Why Your Home Lost Power
How to Identify Lost Power
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
- Electrical Circuit Breakers
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
- For Best Results Consult a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Locate An Electrical Contractor in Your Area
|« Electrical Question about Single Pole Switch Wiring||Why Does my Circuit Breaker Trip when I use the Microwave Oven? »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area