Electrical Wire Size for a 240 Volt Dryer
Circuit Wire Size for an Electric Clothes Dryer: 220 Volt Dryer, Either a 3-wire or 4-wire receptacle outlet, Can you use 12 gauge wire for a new electric dryer?
Electric Dryer Wire Size
- Someone told us that #12 wire could be used.
- We thought that 10 gauge wire is the right size for an electric dryer.
This electrical question came from: Tina, from Dunkirk, New York.
Thanks for your electrical question Tina.
The Correct Wire Size for an Electric Dryer Circuit
Application: 220 Volt or 240 Volt Dryer Cord and Outlet Wiring.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the available access to the dryer cord electrical connection box.
Precaution: Identify the dryer circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the dryer cord wiring.
Circuit Wire Size for an Electric Clothes Dryer
- If the new electric dryer requires a 240volt 30amp circuit then the electrical circuit wiring requires a #10 gauge copper wire not a #12 gauge.
- 10 gauge copper wire with THHN or THWN insulation is rated for 30 amps.
- 12 gauge copper wire with THHN or THWN insulation is rated for 20 amps.
More about Wiring a Dryer
3-Wire and 4-Wire Configurations for Clothes Dryers
- See an electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system.
- You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer, or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet.
- Lets look a how the electric dryer is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.