Electrical Outlet Wiring for a Dryer
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Wire a Dryer. Indications of Incorrect Dryer Outlet Wiring. A dedicated circuit is required for an electric clothes dryer and the wiring of the dryer outlet must be made correctly.
Wiring a Dryer
This electrical question came from: Janice, a Homeowner from Nevada, Missouri.
Thanks for your electrical question Janice.
How to Wire a Dryer
Indications of Incorrect Dryer Outlet Wiring
A dedicated circuit is required for an electric clothes dryer and the wiring of the dryer outlet must be made correctly.
- Janice, yes it could be that the dryer outlet is not wired right, and there could be a serious problem with the way your son installed the new wiring for the dryer.
- From what has been described in this question, do the following IMMEDIATELY:
- The circuit for the dryer should be turned off until the problem has been identified and corrected otherwise there could be an electrical shock hazard and possible damage to the dryer and internal components.
- You should have a licensed electrical contractor make the repairs.
Electrical Circuit for an Electric Clothes Dryer
- A dedicated 30 amp 240 volt circuit is required for an electric clothes dryer.
- This circuit is best installed by a licensed electrical contractor with a permit and all work should be inspected.
More about Wiring a Dryer
3-Wire and 4-Wire Configurations for Clothes Dryers
See an electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system. You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer, or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet. Lets look a how the electric dryer is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.