Electrical Circuits for Garage Remodel Wiring
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Warning About Splicing Electrical Cables and Circuit Sizes: I am working on a re-model project in my garage where I will enclose and insulate a room from the rest of the garage.
Warning About Splicing Electrical Cables and Circuit Sizes
- I have a question about codes for splicing cables. Is this a really bad idea?
- I’m thinking of running a 10/2 NM cable to an electrical box, and then splicing 3, 20amp (12/2) cables from it for the little room which will pull some big electricity (music equipment).
- I think I know the answer: it would potentially pull 60amps through a 30amp cable.
- If so, does this mean if I want 20amp receptacles, I must use separate #12 cables?
I hope this question makes sense, and I really appreciate your time. Thanks a bunch!
This electrical question came from: Paul, a Homeowner from Flagstaff, AZ
Additional Comments: U all rock!
Thanks for your electrical question Paul.
Splicing Electrical Cables
- There is nothing wrong with splicing wires as long as the junction box is accessible and you are not mixing wire sizes.
- You may not splice a #10 wire with a #12. The circuit size must be determined up front, and for your garage outlets you may want a 20 amp circuit which a 12/2 NM Romex could be installed.
- I can tell by your questions that you really don’t understand electrical circuit design, and I’m suspecting that your project is being done without a permit.
- Both of these deficiencies spell trouble so I would advise you to slow down and make sure the remodel project is done correctly and according to code, otherwise your creating a fire hazard and we sure don’t want that, besides, you want a safe place to make lots of great music right?
- Well wiring is kind-of like music, you need to know where to put the right guitar strings otherwise the music will be wrong.
Check out this information about Electrical Project Guidelines
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
DIY Electrical Project
Garage Electrical Wiring
Garage electrical wiring diagram and considerations for wiring garage circuits, complete with pictures. Careful planning for your garage with immediate and future equipment considerations will help you understand how to size your electrical circuit requirements. This information will help as an garage electricalwiring guide.
Electrical Code Articles
Electrical Code Directory covering afci-circuit, electrical-boxes, electrical-circuit, electrical-code-outlets, electrical-gfci, electrical-grounding, electrical-project, electrical-services, electrical-underground, electrical-wiring, electrical-wiring-code, lighting-code, smoke-detector,
This link is helpful as a Homeowner