Electrical Circuit Requirements for Kitchen Ovens
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
I am installing an oven that is 240 volt, what type of dedicated circuit do I need? How to Wire a 240 Volt Oven Circuit: Kitchen Oven Electrical Wiring and Circuit Requirements.
Wiring a 240Volt Oven Circuit
I am installing a double wall oven that is 240 volt. Do I need a 20amp circuit, or will the current 30amp circuit be OK?
- I just bought a Kenmore 27″ double wall oven Model #48763 – 240V, 60HZ.
- The Red and Black wire on the back of the oven has 12 AWG. And the specifications from Sears has Breaker/Copper Wire size (240v) – 30/10.
- The installation instruction on page 3 says, “if less than 4800W, then 20A protection circuit is recommended.”
- I currently have #10 gauge wire and 30 amp (30 each on 2 handles)in the breaker box.
- Do I need a double 20amp as one Electrician is telling me, or will the current 30amp breaker be OK.
- Also another Electrician says I need to rewire to #8 gauge wire for the oven to work. Is this true?
Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.
This home electrical wiring question came from: Martins, a Homeowner from New Castle, Delaware.
Thanks for your electric wiring question Martins.
How to Wire a 240 Volt Oven Circuit
- Application: Installing a 240 Volt Oven Circuit.
- Skill Level: Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor or a Certified Electrician.
- Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Volt Tester, Battery Operated Drill Motor, a support system for the oven as it is installed.
- Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience with the specific appliance, ability to work with tools and connect 240 volt electrical circuit wiring.
- Precaution: Identify the 240 volt oven circuit at the panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before making the oven wiring connections.
- Notice: When installing an additional 240 volt oven circuit the work should be done through the local building authority, installed according to applicable local and national electrical codes, with a permit, and have the required inspections.
Electrical Wiring a 240 Volt Oven Circuit
- The size of the circuit breaker is always determined by the electrical appliance as long as the circuit breaker size will not be greater than the capacity of the circuit wiring for that specific circuit.
- Reducing the circuit breaker size is fine, as in your situation which will provide the right protection for the internal wiring of the oven wiring, that being #12 AWG.
- Identifying the specific model of your oven and following the manufacturers instructions is always best.
- Then you must always compare the required circuit to your existing circuit to determine if any changes must be made.
More about Wiring a 240Volt Oven
- Wiring Options for a Kitchen Oven
- Fully Described Kitchen Electric Oven Installation with a typical 220 Volt electric circuit.
- You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric oven.
- Lets look at how the electric oven is wired and the possible solutions if your circuit does not seem to the same.
- Electric Circuit Listing
- The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
- Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring.
- When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Related Questions about Oven Wiring
- Electrical Wiring for a Wall Oven
- Oven Wiring with a 3-Wire Connection
- Oven Circuit and Dryer Circuit Requirements