Electric Well Pump Circuits
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Can I power my shed with 120volt from the 240volt well circuit? Installing a 240volt 3wire Circuit for a Well Pump Panel, Dedicated Circuit for Well Pumps.
240 Volt Well Pump Circuit
I have an existing 240 volt electrical service to a well pump.
- I have an existing 240 volt electrical service to a well pump.
- I’m building a shed next to the well.
- Can I connect to one hot wire and the neutral to extend 120 volt power to the shed from the pump junction box?
This electrical wiring question came from: Allen, a Homeowner from Waynesboro, Pennsylvanian.
Additional Comments: Great site especially with the ability to ask a question and receive an answer.
Thanks for your electric wiring question Allen.
Application: Installing a 240 Volt Well Pump Circuit and Powering a Shed.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, Best installed by a Licensed Electrician or Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tool, Voltage Tester, trenching equipment or shovels .
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools and the condition of the soil where electrical conduit will be installed.
Precaution: Identify the pump circuit or power source, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring and connections. Working in an electric panel is dangerous due to arc flash hazards and the possibility of electric shock.
Notice: Installing pump circuit wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
The Limitations of a Dedicated 240 Volt Well Pump Circuit
- Well Pump Circuit Requirements
- The 240 volt pump circuit to your well pump does not have a neutral, so you cannot get 120 volts without doing something that would be unsafe.
- Dedicated Circuit for Well Pumps
- The circuit to the well pump is a dedicated circuit designed for the load of the well pump only.
- 120 Volt Power for a Pump House Light and Heat Cable
- Shed It is best to install a new circuit to your shed and leave the well pump circuit as it is.
- This is a common over sight when power is being installed to a well or pump house.
- Pump House Electrical Panel
- My recommendation is to install a sub panel, especially if there is a shed or pump house which will provide the capability for additional 120 volt circuits for lighting and an outlet for freeze tape or other heating devices to prevent frozen water pipes.
- In most cases such as yours you are limited to the pump circuit and that is all. As described, for some applications this serves just fine but there is an alternative way to serve the well pump and electrical power to a shed or pump house as described next.
- Installing a 240volt 3wire Circuit for a Well Pump Panel
- It may be a better idea to install a larger conduit and pull in a larger 240 volt 3-wire circuit and ground to feed a sub-panel.
- Then provide the 240 circuit for the well pump from the panel, and at least one 120 volt circuit for lighting and a GFI utility outlet.
- It is always best to plan your electrical circuits and consider all of the potential devices that may be used or added so the circuit may be properly sized and configured.
More about Well Pump Wiring
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about 220 Volt Wiring Diagram
220 Volt Wiring Diagram
Wiring 220 Volt Electrical Outlet
- Home electrical wiring includes
- 110 volt outlets.
- 220 volt outlets.
- receptacles which are common place in every home.
- See how electrical outlets for the home are wired.