Electric Generator Capacities and Limitations
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Understanding Generator KW Output Capacity to Properly Power Your Home – It would be best to check the specifications and the KW capacity of the generator to really know for sure. The total connected load that will be placed on a generator should be known before selecting a generator.
Electrical Output Capacity for Home Generators
This is for my husband George.
Thanks for your Home Generator Question Jean.
Background: Jean, a Homeowner from Grass Valley, CA
Changing out a 30 amp 250 volt receptacle and replacing it with a 50 amp 250 volt receptacle should not be done because it will not increase to output of the generator.
Understanding Generator KW Output Capacity to Properly Power Your Home
- Because the generator came with a 30 amp outlet it most likely is limited to 30 amp output otherwise there would be a 50 amp outlet already installed.
- Changing to a larger outlet would not enlarge the capacity of the generator KW output.
- It would be best to check the specifications and the KW capacity of the generator to really know for sure.
- The total connected load that will be placed on a generator should be known before selecting a generator.
- Special equipment loads must also be identified to make sure the generator capacity will support them.
- Motor loads such as well pumps must be factored in when selecting the home generator.
I have provided the following resources that lead to fully detailed information on this website that will assist you with your electrical question:
More information about Home Generators
All About Home Generators
This series covers a wide variety of topics all about home generators including sizing, selecting, connecting and safely operating this all important addition to your home.
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
Make sure not to miss these Resources for: How-To-Videos
MORE ABOUT THIS TOPIC: Electrical Wiring, Generator