Does Your Washing Machine Require GFCI Protection
Should a GFCI Outlet be Installed in a Laundry Room: Wiring an Electric Outlet Circuit for a Washing Machine, Wiring a Laundry Room, Washing Machine Outlet, Outlets Close to a Sink.
GFCI Receptacle Outlets
Electrical Question: If the water supply is permanently connected to washing machines in a laundry area, does it require a Class A GFCI protected receptacle?
- According to the NEC, a GFCI is required if the power outlet is within 1.8 meter radius from the water source. Am I right in saying that the water source refers to a shower head and faucets in sinks.
This electrical question came from: Randy from Dallas, Texas.
Thanks for your electrical question Highlander.
Should a GFCI Outlet be Installed in a Laundry Room
Application: GFCI Ground Fault Protected Outlets.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of outlets that will be replaced.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing an additional GFCI Outlet Circuit or Laundry Room Wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Wiring an Electric Outlet Circuit for a Washing Machine
- Washing Machine Outlet
The washing machine outlet itself does not require a GFCI outlet, however any outlet within 6 feet of the outside edge of the sink in laundry rooms require that it be GFCI protected.
- Outlets Close to a Sink
This would include the receptacle for the washing machine outlet if it is within 6 feet of the outside edge of the sink, and I would feel that this would apply if there was any type of water source such as a shower head and faucet in sinks.
More about Wiring a Laundry Room
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home.
- See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
- Laundry Room Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Laundry Room
- Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
For more information about GFCI Wiring
This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
This link is helpful as a Inspector
Electrical Code Articles
|« Wiring Methods for Adding Kitchen Circuits||Installing a 220 Volt Oven Circuit »|
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.