Filed under Electrical Troubleshooting, GFCI Outlets, Lost Power to Outlet
Damaged Extension Cord Causes Outlets to Stop Working
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Reset GFCI Outlets and Circuit Breakers to Restore Electrical Power: Locating and Testing GFCI Outlets and Circuit Breakers.
Cut Extension Cord and Outlet Problem
- I Have two GFI’s in my home. The one GFI outlet for the bathroom works fine.
- Recently I was using an extension cord and accidentally cut while it this was connected to an outside outlet.
- After it was cut four of my kitchen outlets will not work and none of my outside plugs worked. I looked in the kitchen, garage, and in the utility closet and did not find any GFI outlets that were tripped off.
- I checked my breaker box and none of the breakers were tripped. There is two different breakers for two separate GFIs. Where else could I look to find to find the problem.
This electrical question came from: Christin in California.
Thanks for your electrical question Christin.
Resetting GFI Outlets and Breakers
Locating and Testing GFCI Outlets and Circuit Breakers
- When the extension cord was damaged it caused a circuit protection device to trip off.
- This may have been a GFI outlet or a GFCI circuit breaker, or it may have affected a regular circuit breaker.
- Because you have noticed that there is no power to more than one circuit locations then I would recommend that all of the home circuit breakers be turned off and then turn of the main electrical service breaker as well because it is very possible that one of the main power circuits may have tripped off.
Restoring Electrical Power to the Home
How to Reset GFCI Outlets and Circuit Breakers to Restore Electrical Power
- To restore power make sure each circuit breaker has been pushed all the way into the OFF position, and then turn the circuit breaker back on starting with the Main electrical circuit breaker.
Testing and Resetting GFI Devices
- If the power has not been restored to the affected circuits then locate all of the GFI devices and press the TEST and RESET buttons to make sure that they have been reset and are functioning properly.
- If this does not solve the problem then contact a qualified licensed electrical contractor who will provide a series of test that will reveal the problem.
More about GFCI Outlets
GFCI and GFI Wiring Diagrams
The features and benefits of GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.
|« How To Connect Ceiling Fan Wires||Electrical Problem with Two Circuits from the Same Phase »|