Cut Electrical Cable Causes the Home to Lose Power
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Restore Power to a Home after an Electrical Cable has Been Cut or Damaged.
Restoring Power to a Home after a Cut Cable
This home Electrical Repairs question came from: Erin, from Toledo, Ohio.
Thanks for your electrical troubleshooting question Erin.
Restoring Power to a Home
How to Restore Power to a Home after an Electrical Cable has Been Cut or Damaged
Often when an electrical wire or cable has been cut or damaged it will cause the main electrical power of the home to stop working.
- The main power of the home is typically protected my a main Circuit Breaker or Fuses, depending on the age of the home and the home electrical panel.
- Identify the circuit of the cable that has been cut or damaged and make sure it is turned OFF at the circuit breaker of the electrical panel or the fuse(s) has been removed.
- Once you know for sure that the damaged circuit has been turned OFF, then turn the Main Circuit Breaker all the way into the OFF position and then turn it back into the ON position. This should restore the power to the home.
- The damaged circuit cable or wiring should be repaired by a knowledgeable person or a qualified electrician. Splices for electrical wiring must be contained inside approved junction boxes and covered, and by code, the junction box must be accessible.
- If you are unsure about the condition of the home electrical service then a qualified electrician should be contacted or the electrical utility provider.
More about Home Electrical Wiring
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
Electrical Junction Box Splice
Electrical junction box splices can be made safely when you understand the method. This example will show you how its done step by step and shows how to make a junction box splice and the related electrical codes.
Emergency Electrical Splices
Wiring Electrical Codes
How to Identify Lost Power
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
Types of Electrical Testers
Using Electrical Testers
MORE ABOUT THIS TOPIC: Electrical Repairs