Considerations for Electrical Upgrade Wiring
What type of ground wire should I used for outlets? How to Upgrade Home Electrical Wiring and bring the Electrical Systems up to current Electrical Code Standards.
How to Upgrade Home Electrical Wiring
Electrical Question: What type of ground wire should I use for my outlets?
I am redoing part of my house and found some older NM cable. The cable is 2 x 12 gauge and a much smaller ground wire. I am wondering if it is permissible to use the thinner ground wire to add 3 wire outlets or if a heavier gauge ground wire has to be run.
This electrical wiring question came from: Eric, who is located in Brighton, New York.
Thanks for your electrical question Eric.
Upgrading Home Electrical Wiring
- Improving the electrical wiring of an older home has several benefits including improved reliability and safety, and in most cases it will increase the value of the home if the wiring project has been documented following the correct procedures when working through the local building department or governing jurisdiction.
Remodeling and Electrical Wiring Upgrades
- Installing 3-Wire Outlets
- It is OK to use the existing ground wire for 3 wire outlets, however if you are redoing this part of the home you may consider upgrading the electrical wiring, especially if the walls are open.
- Inquire with your local building department and see what is involved with the extent of your project, and what will be required to be included with the upgrade.
- Then just obtain a permit and have the work inspected.
- When making other improvements in the home it is a great opportunity to make some electrical improvements.
More about Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Grounding Methods and Requirements
- Listing of electrical codes for grounding with examples of electrical grounding codes for home electrical wiring.
|« Electrical Outlet Wiring for a Dryer||Replacing an Outlet with Alot of Wires »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area