Connecting Dimmer Switch Wiring
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Correct Dimmer Switch Wiring Connections – Depending on your wring scenario, and what is apparent with your circuit, the electrical wiring may feed through the switch box, therefore these connections must be identified or fully understood.
Identifying Dimmer Switch Wiring Connections
- The closet is in the bathroom and the outlets are in the hall.
This electrical repair question came from: Tony, a Homeowner from upper Marlboro, Maryland.
See more about Home Wiring for Maryland
Thanks for your electrical repair question Tony.
How to Correct Dimmer Switch Wiring Connections
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
- It is essential to mark and identify the existing wiring connections before installing or replacing a dimmer switch.
- Depending on your wring scenario, and what is apparent with your circuit, the electrical wiring may feed through the switch box, therefore these connections must be identified or fully understood.
- This may sound complicated, but in reality it is not when working with the wiring that is found in a conventional home.
- From what you have described, it is very possible that the wiring connections are incorrect and causing a feed back through the closet light fixture.
- If I were called to correct this situation I would begin by using my voltage tester or an ohm meter to identify all of the wiring found in the switch box.
- Once this is understood then I can logically make the connections.
The Following will assist you with Dimmer Switch Wiring:
- 3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
- Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
Understanding Electrical Testers
- When working on home electrical wiring using voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety.
- Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
You identified your project to be about Troubleshooting,
so you might find this information useful:
Troubleshooting and Repairing Electrical Wiring
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.