Connecting A Generator To A Home
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How should I install the wiring to connect a generator to my home? Planning and Installing a Generator with a Transfer Switch, Connect a Generator to a Home.
Installing a Generator and Transfer Switch
- I have a new 5000watt generator I plan to install in my home.
- I have purchased a 7500watt, 10 circuit transfer switch and a weather tight power inlet box.
- I have a couple of questions about installing my generator and transfer switch.
- Can I do the wiring myself, and is a permit required?
- If I use 10-4 Romex, can I just run it from the Power Inlet Box through the wall to the Transfer Switch?
This electrical question came from: Bob, a Homeowner from Pollock Pines, California.
Additional Comments: Very well thought out and organized.
Thanks for your electrical question Bob.
How to Connect a Generator to a Home
Application: Installing a Home Generator.
Skill Level: Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Electricians pouch of hand tools and the various power tools necessary for installing the generator and transfer switch.
Estimated Time: Depends on the type and size of the generator and transfer switch and the available access to the project area.
Precaution: Any existing electrical wiring within the immediate area that may interfere with the installation of the transfer switch may need to be relocated if necessary.
Important: Installing a generator and transfer switch requires planning and the application of electrical codes that will apply to the specific project. The project must be well thought out and performed with a permit, and all work must be inspected.
Note: If your home has sustained damaged from a storm then be sure that home repair work has been authorized and coordinated through your local or state building authorities. Contact your homeowners insurance provider for specific information relating to the home repairs. Detailed photos should be taken to document any damage.
Planning and Installing a Generator with a Transfer Switch
- Generator Installation
- First, begin by checking with your local county to see if you can install the generator and transfer switch yourself.
- I am familiar with your county and I believe they will allow you to do the work yourself but yes, you will need a permit and inspection.
- Generator Transfer Switch
- The local electrical utility provider is very serious about generators and transfer switches being installed right, and you want the circuit wiring that takes care of your essential home generator circuits to be functional as well.
- Generator Circuits
- As for installing 10/4 Romex through the wall, this will depend on if the cable will be protected or not which is the concern here.
- It’s always a good idea to use flex conduit to make sure the wiring is protected.
- Generator Capacity
- In all you preparation and planning for your generator set up just keep in mind that the limitation is based on the size of your generator and the type of generator that you purchase.
More about Home Generators and Electrical Wiring
- Electrical Wiring
- The Importance of a Generator Transfer Switch
- Generator Transfer Switches
- Home Generators
- Home Generators
- This series covers a wide variety of topics all about home generators including sizing, selecting, connecting and safely operating this all important addition to your home.
Electric Circuit Listing
The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
- Junction boxes
- Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
- Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for.
- Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance.
- One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed.
- The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams