Circuit Wiring for a Sub-Panel
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Install a Sub-Panel: Wiring for a Sub-Panel, Necessary Planning When Installing an Electrical Sub-Panel and the main feeder cable.
Installing a Sub-Panel
- Can I connect the sub-panel wires by the Main lugs, or do I need to go into a breaker first.
- Am I required to have only one separate ground rod?
- I am planning on getting this inspected also.
Thanks for your time!
This Electrical Wiring Question came from: Katie, a Homeowner from Roy, Washington.
Additional Comments: Great resource for a homeowner.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Katie.
How to Install a Sub-Panel
Application: Wiring a Sub Panel
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor, Danger of Arc Flash.
Tools Required: Electricians pouch of hand tools and the various power tools necessary for installing the sub-panel.
Estimated Time: Depends on the type and size of the panel and available access to the project area.
Precaution: Any existing electrical wiring within the immediate area that may interfere with the installation of the sub panel should be identified and turned OFF and Tagged if necessary.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring and a sub-panel should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Installing a Electrical Sub-Panel and Planning the Circuits
- Installing a sub-panel is something that requires careful consideration and understanding in order for the project to be done safely and according to a list of applicable electrical codes, this is why I recommend that homeowners consult a qualified licensed electrical contractor to assist with a project of this nature.
- The main feeder cable wiring must be selected and sized properly and connected to a separate circuit breaker in the panel that is supplying the power to the sub-panel.
- There are several factors that must be considered when sizing and installing a sub-panel and a qualified electrician will be extremely helpful to identify these with you.
More about Wiring a Sub-Panel
Electrical Wiring Codes
Home Electrical Codes
- Electrical Code Directory covering AFCI circuit, electrical-boxes, electrical-circuit, electrical-code-outlets, electrical GFCI, electrical-grounding
- Electrical-project, electrical-services, electrical-underground, electrical-wiring, electrical-wiring-code, lighting-codes and smoke-detectors.
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
- Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
- Electrical Circuit Breakers
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring.
- When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.