Changed a Light Bulb Now Fixture Does Not Work
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
What caused a light fixtures to stop working after I changed the light bulb? Homes with old electrical wiring could experience problems that will require some electrical trouble shooting to locate the problem.
If this is your first visit, be sure to sign up for your Free Electrical Tips and eBook.
Your Comments and Electrical Questions are always welcome.
Why Light Fixtures Stop Working
- I was recently changing a burnt out light bulb in my kitchen and when finished I flipped the switch to make sure the light was good.
- This tripped the breaker.
- I switched the circuit breaker back on.
- I tried it again with a different bulb.
- The same thing happened.
This is an older home with older wiring and the fixture has seen better days.
What do you think is going on?
This electrical question came from: Steve, a Homeowner from Shellbrook Saskatchewan, Canada.
Thanks for your electrical question Steve.
Light Fixture Problem and Electrical Wiring
Application: Electrical Troubleshooting Light Fixture Wiring.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician..
Tools Required: Basic Hand Tools and Safe Ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal experience, the light fixture and access to the light fixture.
Precaution: Identify the light fixture circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Replacement parts for the light fixture should be compatible with the type of lamps that have been installed.
Old Light Fixtures May Have Deteriorating Electrical Wiring
Homes with old electrical wiring could experience problems that will require some electrical trouble shooting to locate the problem. The following will help to identify the problem with this light fixture.
- The light fixture and the wring will need to be examined carefully to determine the fault and necessary repairs will be needed.
- You should try removing all the light bulbs and restore the power to the circuit to rule out any problems with the light bulbs or light sockets.
- With the circuit turned off, the light fixture may be disconnected from the ceiling electrical wiring, then cap the connections and restore the circuit power to isolate the light fixture from the circuit.
- Isolate each component of the light fixture electrical system until the problem is discovered.
- I suspect a problem with the electrical wiring of the light fixture.
The Following will assist you with Electrical Problems in a Light Fixture
How to Install Kitchen Electrical Wiring
Kitchen Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Kitchen Electrical Wiring
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.
Do You Have an Electrical Wiring Question?