Filed under Light Fixtures, Troubleshooting
Changed a Light Bulb Now Fixture Does Not Work
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Old Light Fixtures May Have Deteriorating Electrical Wiring – With the circuit turned off, the light fixture may be disconnected from the ceiling electrical wiring, then cap the connections and restore the circuit power to isolate the light fixture from the circuit.
Why Light Fixtures Stop Working
- This tripped the breaker.
- I switched the circuit breaker back on.
- I tried it again with a different bulb.
- The same thing happened.
This is an older home with older wiring and the fixture has seen better days.
What do you think is going on?
This electrical question came from: Steve, a Homeowner from Shellbrook Saskatchewan, Canada
Thanks for your electrical question Steve.
Old Light Fixtures May Have Deteriorating Electrical Wiring
- The light fixture and the wring will need to be examined carefully to determine the fault and necessary repairs will be needed.
- You should try removing all the light bulbs and restore the power to the circuit to rule out any problems with the light bulbs or light sockets.
- With the circuit turned off, the light fixture may be disconnected from the ceiling electrical wiring, then cap the connections and restore the circuit power to isolate the light fixture from the circuit.
- Isolate each component of the light fixture electrical system until the problem is discovered.
- I suspect a problem with the electrical wiring of the light fixture.
The Following links will assist you with your electrical question:
How to Install Kitchen Electrical Wiring
Kitchen Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Kitchen Electrical Wiring
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.
|« Dimmer Switches for Ceiling Fans||Older Homes and Up To Standard Government Requirements »|