Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagram Black White Red and Green Wires
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Connect the Black White Red and Green Wires of a Ceiling Fan: Connecting the white, black, blue and green wires.
Wiring a Ceiling Fan
- The supply circuit has a black, red, white, and copper wires.
- I color coded them, but I am left with the blue wire from the fan and the copper and red wire from the supply circuit.
- According to the instruction stated to connect the ground conductor of the 120v supply (this may be a bare or a wire with green colored insulation to the green ground lead(s) of the fan.
- I only have the red and the copper wires left on the supply circuit.
- Am I correct to connect the blue wire to the copper wire.
Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Background: Carline, a Homeowner from Foxboro, Massachusetts.
Connect the Wires to a Ceiling Fan
Application: Ceiling Fan Wiring Connections.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the switched outlet wiring and the proposed location for the ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the switched outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring for a ceiling fan should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Carline.
How to Connect the Black White Red and Green Wires of a Ceiling Fan
- The Red wire from the junction box connects to the Blue wire on the Ceiling Fan.
- The Bare Copper wire from the junction box connects to the Green wires on the Ceiling Fan.
- NOTE: Because your junction box wiring has a separate Black and Red wire, this normally indicates that there are two separate wall switches, one for the Fan Motor (Black) and one switch for the Ceiling Fan Light Fixture (Red).
More about Wiring Ceiling Fans
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.