How to Repair Ceiling Fan Electrical Wiring
Why did the Outlets in the Room Stop Working when I Changed the Ceiling Fan Wiring? How Room Outlets are Wired Through the Ceiling Fan Junction Box.
Ceiling Fan Wiring and Wall Outlets
- When changing a ceiling fan to a light, as I unhooked the neutral the outlets in the room stopped working.
- I checked the outlets with a plug in device it indicates that the hot and neutral is reversed.
- I checked with a VOM Volt Ohm Meter and it shows 120 between the hot and ground, 120 between the neutral and ground and 0 between the black and neutral.
- I have checked all the outlets and lights and can find nothing reversed.
Background: David, an Electrician from Houston,Texas.
Thanks for your ceiling fan troubleshooting question David.
Ceiling Fan Wiring Problem
Application: Troubleshooting Ceiling Fan Electrical Wiring
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level of experience, ability to work with tools and access to the ceiling fan wiring.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Modifications of electrical wiring should always be done according to local and national electrical codes and a permit and inspection may be required.
Room Outlets Wired Through the Ceiling Fan Junction Box
- From what has been described you may have lost your neutral, that’s why you have a reading from the fixture neutral to ground of 120 volts.
- Use your voltage tester to check the power source and check between the power leg and the neutral wire, working back towards to power source until you discover the point where the separation occurred.
- You stated that you disconnected the neutral wire fro the outlet, so you may want to begin there and reconnect the neutrals.
- Make the appropriate repairs or splice corrections.
More about Wiring Ceiling Fans
How to Install Ceiling Fan Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Ceiling Fan Wiring
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
For more information about Electrical Wiring
Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
Articles that will help a DIY Homeowner, Handyman, Handywomen, and the Electrician