Ceiling Fan and Light Start Delay Problem
Your Ceiling Fan and Light May Have a Delayed Start, possibly a full second before the power comes on
Ceiling Fan Delayed Start and Possible Cause
Electrical Question: An electrician just installed a ceiling fan in my son’s room yesterday.
- The ceiling fan has a light fixture with bulbs.
- A wall switch provides the power to the ceiling.
- We had just a regular light fixture before.
- The light would come on immediately when the wall switch was flipped up.
- Now with the ceiling fan and lights, it takes like a full second before the power comes on.
- My question is:
- Is this okay to leave it this way?
- Does it pose any safety threat?
- My question is:
Background: Tom, a Homeowner from NY
Thanks for your electrical question Tom.
Ceiling Fan and Light Delayed Start
- Tom, I would check the owners manual and call the electrician and explain the situation.
- You have not stated what kind of wall switch is being used for the new ceiling fan which could be a factor if it is the wrong switch, such as a light dimmer switch being used for both functions of the ceiling fan will not work right because a dimmer switch is not designed for inductive motor loads.
- I am curious if the electrician installed an Approved Ceiling Fan Box in place of the existing light fixture box?
- It does not hurt to ask questions to the electricians that are hired, and for goodness sake, make sure they really are qualified electricians and ask for credentials.
- If you have hired them to do a job they should be qualified and must do the job according to code.
I have provided the following links that lead to fully detailed information on this website that will assist you with your Ceiling Fan and Light
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Ceiling Fan Wiring
Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagram
Ceiling Fan Installation
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
|« Electrical Wiring – Ask The Electrician||Permitted Electrical Cords for Dryer »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area