Causes of Lost Power to Outlets
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Troubleshooting the Problem of Lost Power to Outlets: How to Locate and Repair Lost Power to Electric Outlets.
Identifying the Causes of Lost Power to Outlets
- I checked the breaker and even replaced it.
- I noticed with the volt meter I have 15 volts with the hot and neutral.
- I get 115 vac with ground and hot.
Any suggestions what next?
This electrical wiring question came from: Patrick, a Homeowner from Bettendorf, Iowa.
Thanks for your electrical question Patrick.
Troubleshooting the Problem of Lost Power to Outlets
Application: Troubleshooting and Repairing Outlet Problems.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester or Volt Ohm Meter or plug-in circuit analyzer.
Estimated Time: Depends on the age of the home and the condition of the electrical wiring and access to the circuit wiring to be inspected, evaluated and repaired.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit at the electric panel, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring inspections or electrical repairs. If an outlet or the electrical wiring is found to be damaged then repairs and replacement parts should be obtained with the same voltage and amperage rating.
Notice: Burnt or damaged electrical wiring and circuit components should be replaced with new electrical materials of the same voltage and amperage rating.
How to Locate and Repair Lost Power to Outlets
- As described in this question, the typical problem is a lost connection with the neutral wire in part of the electrical outlet circuit.
- The wiring connections of the affected outlet circuit will need to be checked and verified.
- Start by examining the wiring at the last outlet that is working.
- Inspect the wiring connections to the outlet and look for a burnt or deteriorated connection.
- Replace affected outlets and repair burnt wiring and install proper wire connections as necessary.
- This requires the attention of a qualified electrical contractor who will conduct some tests to identify the problem and make the necessary repairs.
- See the section on Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring for more specific tips:
More about Troubleshooting Lost Power
- Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting
- Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
- Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring.
- When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home.
- See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.