Causes of Light or Switch Delay
|By Dave Rongey - Summary:
Why a Light Fixture or Switch May Have a Delay When Turning On – There may be a loose connection or splice within the wiring of the light circuit.
Why a Light Fixture or Switch May Have a Delay
- I have a light on a ceiling fan that is operated from two 3-way switches.
- When the light is turned on, there is an approximate 1 second delay before the light actually lights.
- Doesn’t matter which switch is used or whether the pull cord on the fan is used – the delay still exists.
- Installed new ceiling fan and new switches and it still does the same thing.
- Maybe it’s nothing bad, but it’s kind of annoying and a little disconcerting.
- It’s a just purchased house, so I have no idea how long this may have been going on.
This electrical wiring question came from: Walt, a Homeowner from Dallas, Texas.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Walt.
Causes of a Light Switch Delay
- In my experiences there are two possible causes that would make a light switch delay.
- The light switch is getting worn out and needs replacing. The internal contacts can break down over time due to arcing. The arcing can eventually cause the contacts to fail completely, and the arcing can produce a residue which can affect the initial flow of electricity between the switch contacts.
- There may be a loose connection or splice within the wiring of the light circuit. This is a problem that would eventually cause the circuit to stop working completely or worse, because loose electrical connections can produce heat and arcing, which can become a fire danger.
The Following will assist you with wiring light switches:
- How to Install Ceiling Fans
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.3-way switch wiring
- Easy to Understand 3 Way Switch Diagrams
- 3 Way Switch Diagrams Fully Explained. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.For more information about Troubleshooting
- Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.
MORE ABOUT THIS TOPIC: