» Home Electrical Wiring Guide Book
Causes of Electrical Noise and Green Light
Possible Problem Involving Electrical Utility Company High Voltage Wires – What you are probably experiencing is the result of something coming into contact with one of the high voltage lines for an instant.
Electrical Utility Company High Voltage Wires
Electrical Question: A couple of nights ago in the middle of the night my husband and I were awoke by a loud buzzing electrical noise combined with a bright green light shining though our window.
- The noise and light lasted for a few second and then went away.
- It was enough for us both to jump out of bed from a dead sleep.
- This happened twice that night and 3-4 times in one night the week before (during a storm).
- The noise sounds like you are inside of a loud microwave and you can almost feel the electricity in the back of your neck and spine!
- We do have power lines right outside of our house.
- I know what transformers are and some people have mentioned that it might be that
- I am just not sure because nobody, including our electric company is able to give us a direct answer.
- The power will usually go out for a split second and then be right back on.
My understanding of transformers, is that if it “blows” or what not, that the power would be totally out.
I am very confused and it is quite startling to wake up to.
If this is something that you have heard of or have any advice please let me know.
PS I know it is probably not aliens 🙂 but the noise and lights are what I would imagine… if that was the case… :/
This electrical question came from: Megan, a Homeowner from Des Moines, Washington.
See more about Home Wiring for Washington
Thanks for your electrical repair question Megan.
Possible Problem Involving Electrical Utility Company High Voltage Wires
Skill Level: Professional – Contact the Local Electrical Utility Provider.
Precaution: Dangerous – Stay far away from any downed or damaged electrical utility lines.
- What you are probably experiencing is the result of something coming into contact with one of the high voltage lines for an instant.
- It could be any number of things including a tree branch or anything that may be getting damp and is very close to the high voltage power lines.
- This could also be happening to the overhead electrical service lines that are leading to a home.
- I would notify the electrical utility company and request that they come out and inspect the lines in your area.
The Following will assist you with your electrical question:
Home Electrical Safety
Home Electrical Safety
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
|« How To Fix 3Way Light Switch Wiring||Installing MC Cable for Home Wiring »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Noise and Interference
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.