Causes and Solutions of a Non-Working Light Fixture
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Troubleshoot a Light Fixture that is Not Working – One of the bulbs burned out and I decided to try using an old CFL compact fluorescent light bulb that somebody gave me in its place.
Checklist for Possible Causes of a Non-Working Light Fixture
- One of the bulbs burned out and I decided to try using an old CFL compact fluorescent light bulb that somebody gave me in its place. I’d never used a CFL bulb before.
- Well, the CFL bulb flickered and so I turned off the light switch and replaced it with another regular 60 watt bulb. But now the light fixture doesn’t work at all. Neither bulb lights up.
- The wall switch has a dimmer on it.
- The other lights in the room still work just fine.
- I am a woman who unfortunately knows nothing about these things: light fixtures, working with electricity, etc.
I hope to be able to fix the problem myself.
Any advice you can give me will be MUCH appreciated. I’m so grateful that I happened upon your website.
This electrical wiring question came from: Nora, a Homeowner from Clinton, WA, USA
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Nora.
How to Troubleshoot a Light Fixture that is Not Working
- Bad light bulbs. Purchase the correct replacement bulbs and install them.
- A faulty wall switch. The wall switch should be tested and replaced if necessary.
- If a dimmer switch is being used make sure it is compatible with the type of light bulbs being that are installed.
- Tripped circuit breaker. Check for a tripped circuit breaker, turn it all the way into the off position and then back into the on position.
The Following will assist you with your Light Fixture
wiring a dimmer switch
3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
You identified your project to be about Troubleshooting, so you might find this information useful:
Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.