Can I Use A Remote Control Switch For Lighting?
How to Wire a Remote Control for Light Fixtures: Installing a Control Module, Wiring the Control Devices, Security and Monitoring Options.
Guide for Controlling Lighting Fixtures with a Remote Control
Electrical Question: I want to put in track lighting in the ceiling to compliment a fireplace mantel.
- There is a ceiling/fan outlet box already existing.
- My ‘theory’ is that I can run thee wires from the existing outlet box to the new install outlet box.
My theory/question is: I know the switch that operates the fan will then become the switch that also operates the track lighting, so can I install a remote switch in the new box to turn the track lights on/off.
- The fan already has a remote switch so the actual switch is always on, assuming all wires are ‘hot’ to the fan all the time, and the remote switch actually activates the fan, would the same not be true, if a remote switch is installed for the track lighting, for the newly installed light?
- I am trying to do minimal cutting of the drywall, and I do not know where I can install a new switch. I was thinking this could work?
- Would the remote switch currently on the fan interrupt the wires continued to the new outlet?
Any info would be appreciated.
Background: Greg, a Homeowner from Phoenix, AZ.
Thanks for your electrical question Greg. Yes your theory is correct.
How to Wire a Remote Control for Light Fixtures
- Installing a Control Module
A ceiling fan remote module can be applied to a standard light fixture as long as the fixture box or housing has enough room to contain the module and the fixture lamp load does not exceed to capacity of the module.
- Setting the Frequency
The communication frequency of the modules are adjustable as well which provides a few possible control options.
- Control Options
There are other control device options as well which operate using PLC, Power Line Carrier technology, such as the X-10 modules and the Leviton line of control devices.
- Wiring the Control Devices
When installed on an existing circuit these devices use the standard home wiring to transmit signals which are received by their counterpart modules to provide control for a variety of devices including lighting with dimming capabilities.
- Controlling Other Devices
Systems such as these have the capability to be controlled using a variety of options from a wall switch, stand alone programmable controller, a personal computer and even integrated internet devices as well.
- Security and Monitoring Options
If you wanted to, you could turn on the furnace at your cabin at the Lake before you left the airport using your cell phone, or you could see who is at your driveway entry gate while you are somewhere on vacation or busy at work.
- Control Integration Possibilities
All the devices are available and ready to integrate for what ever function you desire. The possibilities are endless.
More about Home Electrical Wiring
For more information about Outlet Wiring
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
Make sure not to miss these Resources for: How-To-Pictures
Home Electrical Projects
Browse other questions about this topic:
Electrical Home Automation leviton automated switch, leviton home control, light home automation, lighting control, remote control light, remote control wiring
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.