Bathroom Light Switch Problems
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Know if a Light Switch Needs to be Replaced – Here is how to Check
How to know if a Bathroom Light Switch Needs Replacing
- The light switch has three separate switches:
- one for the exhaust fan
- one for the light that is part of the exhaust fan
- and one for a light above the sink.
- The light that is part of the exhaust fan is not working.
- I have replaced the bulb (actually twice just to make sure) and it is still not working. However, the exhaust fan and light above the sink are working.
- I also checked the fuse box downstairs, and that was fine.
I?m stumped?what do you think the problem could be?
This electrical question came from: Birdie, a Homeowner from Des Moines, IA
Thanks for your electrical question Birdie.
From the provided information it appears that the circuit is working, so there is a possibility that the wiring has been damaged up in the unit of the switch that controls the light has gone bad.
How to Test a Light Switch
- The switch for the light will need to be tested and replaced if it is faulty. Test each individual switch when there is a stacked switch or multiple switches.
- A Voltage Test is typically done with the circuit ON by an experienced person.
- The voltage test will show if there is voltage passing through the light switch by testing with one lead to ground or neutral.
- A Continuity or Ohm test is done when the circuit power is OFF and it is best to test the light switch with one or both wires disconnected.
- The Ohm test will show if the switch is good when the meter shows continuity, or if the switch is bad when the meter shows no continuity or no reading at all.
Be sure to replace the light bulbs before doing anything else, sometimes it’s just that simple!
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
Bathroom Exhaust Fan
Installing Your Bath Exhaust Fan
Answers to all of your questions about installing a bath exhaust fan and your bathroom exhaust fan replacement project.
Bathroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
This wiring diagram and pictures explain the basic bathroom electrical code wiring requirements required for most new or remodel projects. Give your bathroom a face lift when you enhance the electrical devices that will bring out the best in you. Make your eyes sparkle with get a breath of fresh air when you install one of these smart upgrades.
This link is helpful as a Homeowner