Bathroom Exhaust Fan and Light Electrical Wiring
How to Wire a Switch for Bath Exhaust Fan and Light: I have a new bathroom exhaust fan heater light to install in place of an old one and wire the switches.
Switch Wiring for Bath Fan and Light
- I also had a fan heater light. The new fan is a Nutone QTXN110HL.
- The Wall switch box and wiring are already installed and worked with old fan.
- The wires are by the fan – red, yellow, black, blue.
Two sets of wires come from fan (1) for heat and nightlight (2) for light and fan.
- One group of wires is red, white, blue? The other is Black, white, yellow.
- I assume the ground wire is attached already somewhere ? I don’t know which wire is which, except that black and red are hot for light or fan motor. Heater? yellow for nightlight?
- The wiring diagram and pic that came with the unit make absolutely no sense and there are no written instructions for the wiring part. Any idea which wires go where?
This electrical wiring question came from: James , a Homeowner from Laramie, Wyoming.
Additional Comments: I like the website. Lots of useful and helpful information for a guy with limited knowledge about these things 🙂
Thanks for your electrical wiring question James.
How to Wire a Switch for Bath Exhaust Fan and Light
Application: Wiring a Switch for a Bathroom Exhaust Fan and Light.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, best installed by a licensed electrical contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the access to the wiring for the wall switch for the exhaust fan and if a larger switch box will be required.
Precaution: The combo bathroom exhaust fan circuit should be identified, turned OFF and Tagged with a Note before working with the wiring and installing the fan speed switch.
Notice: Modifying existing wiring or installing additional bathroom electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
How to Wire Switches for an Exhaust Fan
- The Power Source
There is one power source that is shared with both switches.
- Fan and Light Switches
You will be using multiple switches for individual functions.
- Wiring the Switches
Each switch function requires the appropriate wire color.
- White Neutral Wires
The neutral wires are spliced together.
More about Wiring a Bath Exhaust Fan and Light
Electrical Wiring Diagrams
Home electrical wiring diagrams are an important tool for completing your electrical projects. An electrical wiring diagram can be as simple as a diagram showing how to install a new switch in your hallway, or as complex as the complete electrical blueprint for your new home or home improvement project.
Wiring Diagram Directory
Wiring Diagrams Directory
How to Install Bathroom Electrical Wiring
Bathroom Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bathroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.