How to Safely Disconnect Hot Tub Wiring
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Removing Hot Tub Circuit Wiring: We removed our hot tub, what should I do with the electrical wiring?
Disconnecting Hot Tub Wiring
- We just got rid of a hot tub and now I am left with the 220 line going to our pool deck.
- Before we tore down the hot tub, I turned off the circuit breaker at the panel they installed on the outside of the house. It provided 220 for the hot tube and runs independently from the main panel.
- What is the proper way to make this safe? I capped the ends of the line where it connected to the hot tub and left the circuit off, then I put a lock on the panel box. Is this safe enough or should I pull the breaker out completely?
- I realize the bar is still hot but other than messing around with the main supply from the pole I’m not sure what else to do.
This electrical wiring question came from Steve, in Fort Myers, Florida.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Steve.
Disconnecting Hot Tub Circuit Wires
- Removing Hot Tub Circuit Wiring
- The electrical wiring that was installed from the hot tub disconnect panel box to the hot tub enclosure should be pulled out and removed.
- Unused electrical wiring, especially in an outdoor location in a pool area should be completely removed to eliminate any possibility of accidental energizing which could lead to several hazardous conditions.
- The circuit breaker feeding the hot tub panel should be clearly identified as not used, and turned off.
- If the hot tub circuit will no longer be used for any purpose then the wiring to the circuit breaker should be disconnected or completely removed by a qualified electrician.
More about Electrical Circuits and Electrical Safety
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
Home Electrical Safety
- Electrical Safety Articles covering several topics of home electrical safety and Do-It-Yourself Electrical Safety.
- A new approach to keep kids and electricity apart with hopes to prevent children from being injured by electricity.
Hot Tub Circuit Wiring
- Electrical Codes and details for Spa and Hot Tub electrical wiring.
- Essentials for your hot tub installation, including the required GFCI ground fault protection and circuit wire size.