Adding Circuits and Upgrading Home Electrical Wiring
Do I need to Install New Circuits and Rewire my Light Fixtures? How to Plan and Upgrade Home Electrical Circuits.
Upgrading Electrical Wiring in an Older Home
Electrical Question: Do I need to Install New Circuits and Rewire my Light Fixtures?
- We recently bought an old house and upgraded the electric panel. We had the old fuse box and meter base replaced with breakers as per AEP. Shortly after this we began having what appeared to be a poltergeist in the house. Fridge would kick on and the lights would dim.
- Turn the coffee pot on and get lukewarm coffee. The neutral wire on the AEP side was the cause of this ghostly problem. Now that AEP has fixed their problem, our ceiling fan no longer works, my drill charger no longer has power (thankful I bought the extended warranty) and one of the basement lights no longer works.
- Can you give me some idea how to fix this? Do I need to run another breaker and rewire the fan and light fixtures? Any help would be much appreciated.
This electrical question came from: Jason, a Homeowner from East Liverpool, Ohio.
Note: AEP is the electrical utility company in this area of Ohio.
See more about Home Wiring for Ohio
Thanks for your electrical question Jason
How to Plan and Upgrade Electrical Wiring for an Older Home
- Jason, I would first start by finding out why the repairs that were performed by the AEP affected the circuits that are now not working. Obviously a circuit may be required to re-energize the devices that are not working only after understanding if the existing electrical wiring is OK or not. If there is a problem with the wiring, then the problem will need to be corrected or the wiring may need to be replaced as well.
Upgrading Home Electrical Circuit Wiring
Planning and Upgrading Home Electrical Circuits
- Upgrading the electrical wiring of an older home starts with identifying the existing electrical circuits, and then planning for the normal code upgrades and any additional circuits that will be required.
- It should also be understood that just because the main electrical service panel has been replaced or updated, this is only the starting point. Additional circuits and electrical upgrades to the home wiring may be required as well for the home to have improved safety and to become compliant with all applicable codes.
More about Home Electrical Wiring
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
Basement Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Basement Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Rewiring a Home
Understanding Digital Volt Meters
When working on home electrical wiring using voltage meter can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers and voltage meters enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
Types of Electrical Testers
Using Electrical Testers and Voltage Meters
Electrical Wiring Tools
A listing of the electrical tools and drills I use on most all of my electrical jobs and projects.
You identified your project to be about Home Wiring, so you might find this information useful:
Home Electrical Wiring
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams with Pictures
|« Installing a Ceiling Fan Using Surface Wiring||How to Replace Switch Controlled Outlets »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Installing New Wiring
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.