Adding a Garage Electrical Panel
Hot to Add an Electrical Sub-Panel to a Garage – Adding a sub-panel for a garage involves a variety of planning, here are just a few to consider
Considerations When Planning a Garage Panel
Electrical Question:Can I tie into a 200 AMP service with a 100 AMP distribution panel for my garage?
This electrical wiring question came from: Donald, a Homeowner from Trumansburg, NY
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Donald.
Hot to Add an Electrical Sub-Panel to a Garage
- Adding a sub-panel for a garage involves a variety of planning, here are just a few to consider:
- Does the existing service panel have the capacity for additional loads.
- Does the existing service panel have the space for the required circuit breaker.
- What type and size sub-panel will be required.
- What size electrical feeder cable will be required.
- How will the feeder cable be protected.
- Any project that involves electrical wiring, especially electrical panels will require a permit and inspection.
- Due to the number of electrical codes and additional considerations, a project like this is best performed by a qualified licensed electrical contractor.
The Following will assist you with Adding a Garage Electrical Panel:
Sub-Panel Electrical Wiring for the Home
- Electrical sub-panel wiring considerations for the home complete with pictures. Careful planning for your Sub-Panel with immediate and future load considerations will help you understand how to size your Sub-Panel. This information will help as you consider a Sub-Panel and its size.
- Basic House Wiring Circuits
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
- Home Electrical Circuits
Electric Circuit Listing
- The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
You identified your project to be about Electrical Code,
so you might find this information useful:
Home Electrical Codes
- Electrical Code Directory covering afci-circuit, electrical-boxes, electrical-circuit, electrical-code-outlets, electrical-gfci, electrical-grounding, electrical-project, electrical-services, electrical-underground, electrical-wiring, electrical-wiring-code, lighting-codes and smoke-detectors.
|« Planning Your Electrical Wiring Project||Electric Dryer Circuit Requirements »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area