About Light Fixtures and No Ground Wire
How to Install a Light Fixture without a Ground Wire, Electrical wiring in some older homes does not have a ground wire and and some older homes have ground wires that are bonded behind the electrical box.
What To Do When You Don’t Have a Ground Wire
- I bought a new lamp holder with an outlet in it my old one does not have an outlet.
- It has a grounded screw to attach a grounded wire.
- I don’t have a grounded wire can I still use this lamp holder?
This electrical wiring question came from: Karen, a Homeowner from Rockford, Illinois.
- I bought halo recessed lights with quick connects. The problem is my wiring in the house has no ground wire, just black and white. I wired the ground wires from can light to can light.
- Do I need to attach a ground from all the cans to a screw in the stud or what?
This electrical wiring question came from Eric, in West Virginia.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Karen.
How to Install a Light Fixture without a Ground Wire
Application: Wiring a Light Fixture.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixture(s).
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Light Fixtures and the Ground Wire
- Electrical wiring in some older homes does not have a ground wire for outlets ans switches, and some older homes have ground wires that are bonded behind the electrical box.
- If the box is metal then attach the fixture ground wire to the box. If the box is not metal and a ground wire is not available in the fixture box then you can still install the key less light fixture.
- An additional ground wire may be installed to provide a ground wire to the light fixture location.
- A ground wire should be bonded to the ground system of the electrical panel which must be installed according to code for it to be effective.
More about Grounds and Light Fixtures
Electrical Grounding Methods and Requirements
Listing of electrical codes for grounding with examples of electrical grounding codes for home electrical wiring.
Lighting For The Home
Electrical outlet wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
You identified your project to be about Home Wiring, so you might find this information useful:
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams with Pictures