The Federal Trade Commission requires that I disclose any relationship I have between a product manufacturer or service provider when I write about a product or service.
Here are the guidelines I operate under at Ask-The-Electrician.com:
- I am never paid to do a review. I never accept money to review a product or service. I invest my own time to review and test products. I pay out of my own pocket the cost to produce all videos I tape about products.
- Most of the products I review belong to me and have been used by myself. These are products which I have bought and paid for personally.
- Rarely do I receive products that I do not purchase for testing or evaluation. If this does occur these products are sent to me by the manufacturer. Rarely, do I request a product. In almost all cases, the manufacturer approaches me first via a press release or a phone call. If I feel it's a product you might get benefit from, then I request they send me the product.
- I don't return the products after I test them. In certain cases, the product is used up or destroyed. In other cases, the product may get damaged during the testing. I don't have the staff or the resources to process the return of the products.
- If I create a link to a product in a review, sometimes I may get paid a commission if you purchase the product or service. I'll disclose that in the review. If you don't see that disclosure, that means I'm not getting paid any commission.
- If a Store, Supply Company, Brand Name or Product is mentioned within this website or any of it's publications it is for informational use only and is not intended for promotion or as an endorsement.
- These are good rules and practices in today's digital world. It's important for you as a consumer to understand the relationship between a person reviewing the product and the manufacturer or service provider. If you don't see a disclosure policy as part of a review of a product, that reviewer may be violating the law or at the very least the Code of Ethics.
Founder - Ask-The-Electrician.com