Filed under: Dryer Wiring »11 Comments «
|« Troubleshooting Outlets and Lights that Do Not Work||Installing Outlets Ground Up or Down »|
3 Prong Cord Wiring For An Electric Dryer
©Copyright Dave Rongey - Summary:
How to Connect Your 3-Wire Electric Dryer Cord: Fully explained electrical wiring diagrams for dryer cords.
Wiring Connections For A 3 Prong Dryer Cord
Electrical Question: I got an electric dryer with a 3 prong cord but my outlet is a 4 prong. I bought a 4 prong cord to switch out but before I installed it on dryer I wanted to make sure plug would fit. (I who knows nothing about electrical wiring or dangers). The cord was on the ground with all 4 wires exposed when I plugged it into the outlet. Of course it arced and fried the ring terminals. I turned off the circuit breaker to unplug the cord. I realize I could have fried myself now but my question is now that the new 4 prong cord has been installed on dryer and we plug it in, it does not work. Did I fry the plug?
Background: Toni, a Other from Santa Cruz, CA.
Additional Comments: Your website was helpful in showing me how to switch out a 3 prong to a 4 prong dryer cord.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Toni.
How to Connect Your 3Wire and 4Wire Dryer Cord
Application: Wiring a Dryer Cord.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and connect the 240 volt dryer cord.
Precaution: Identify the dryer circuit at the electric panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the dryer cord wiring.
Notice: Wiring a dryer cord and making the electrical connections should be done according to local and national electrical codes and using approved materials.
- Yes Toni, you could have gotten a nasty electrical shock
- You may not have damaged the 220 volt wall outlet
- Make sure to fully reset the circuit breaker, all the way off, then back on.
- It is very possible that just one side of the 240 volts has tripped, or half of the circuit breaker.
- If the ring terminals are damaged they may be cut off and replaced with new ones that you can get from the hardware store
- The links below will help you with the electrical wiring connections
Dryer Cord Electrical Wiring
- Electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system.
- You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer.
- Or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet.
- Lets look a how the electric dryer is wired.
- What to do if your cord does not match the plug.
- Fully explained electrical wiring diagrams for dryer cords.
Related Questions about Wiring a Dryer Cord
- How to Wire an Electric Dryer Cord
- Electrical Wiring Conversions for Clothes Dryers
- How to Wire a Dryer Outlet
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.