220 Volt Electric Furnace Wiring
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How Do I Wire an Electric Furnace with Heat Elements? See the Wiring Connections for 220 Volt Electric Heater and How to Connect the Electrical Circuit Wiring for a Furnace.
If this is your first visit, be sure to sign up for your Free Electrical Tips and eBook.
Your Comments and Electrical Questions are always welcome.
The Installation Manual for Proper Wiring and Connections
- I need help wiring an electric furnace with heat elements.
- I have installed an electric furnace with a 15 kw heat element.
- I ran number 6 wire with ground from my 100 amp service box where I installed a 60amp double pole breaker.
- The furnace comes with an other set of breakers one 60amp and one 30amp where I am supposed to connect the line voltage.
- I put the red wire in L1 the black wire in L2 and the white wire in L3 and the ground on the ground screw.
- What goes in L4?
- The blower comes on but no heat.
This electrical wiring question came from: Tony, a Handyman from Bloomfield, New Mexico.
Additional Comments: Good Questions and Good Answers
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Tony.
How to Connect the Electrical Circuit Wiring for a Furnace
Application: Wiring an Electric Furnace.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, electric drill, auger bits and extension cord.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and install electrical circuit wiring.
Notice: Installing additional furnace wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes, with a permit, and be inspected.
Wiring Connections for 220 Volt Electric Heater
- When wiring a furnace you need to check the wiring instructions for the units and the incoming circuits.
- The designation L normally means Line which usually has a hot from the circuit attached, not a neutral.
- Due to a lack of information about this unit I can only provide limited information.
Example of Wiring a 220 Volt Electric Heater:
- Identify the Voltage
- 208 Volt and 220 Volt Connections Wiring connections may need to changed depending on the voltage of the unit and the voltage at the location where the unit will be installed.
- Electric Furnace Heating Elements and Heat Strips
- The electrical circuit for an electric furnace will depend on the number and watt or kw size of the electric heating elements
- In some cases, due to the electrical requirements, it may be necessary to install a separate dedicated circuit just for the heating elements or heating strips.
- Furnace Blower Motor Speed
- Many furnace blower motors may be adjusted depending on the size of the home.
- Confirm the proper speed setting and adjust the wiring connections at the wire terminal strip, or adjust the wire splices to the motor leads.
- Unused wire leads must be capped off or relocated as instructed by the installation manual.
Example of an Electric Furnace Wiring Diagram
Electrical Circuit Wiring for an Electric Furnace
More about 220Volt Wiring
- Wiring 220 Volt Electrical Outlet
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how electrical outlets for the home are wired.
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.
Do You Have an Electrical Wiring Question?